As mentioned before, the exceptional nature of Ardabil has made it one of the most unique travel destinations in Iran. Also, for hiking and trekking the third largest mountain in Iran known as Sabalan Mountain, you need to start your adventure from Ardabil. Below, we will be introducing the natural and historic monuments of Ardabil along with its nearby unique villages and surroundings. You can find more information on these attractions by checking out our Blog’s posts.
Attractions near Ardabil
- Natural spas of Sarein ( within 30 kilometers of Ardabil)
- 365-meter-long suspension bridge of Meshgin Shahr in the heart of Sabalan Slopes and Khiyo Chaei River( within 102 km of Ardabil)
- Fandogloo Forest as one of the most beautiful forests in Northwestern Iran ( within 36 km of Ardabil)
- Gardaneh Heyran ( Heyran pass) as one of the most dazzling roads in Iran where you can enjoy the views of the scenic views of Azerbaijan and Iran’s Nature ( within 40 km of Ardabil)
- Hir Suspension Bridge known as one of the first arched glass suspension bridge ( within 32 km of Ardabil)
Attractions in Ardabil
- Sheikh Safi al-din Khānegāh and Shrine Ensemble as the only UNESCO World Heritage site in Ardabil. This complex is of much universal value. Most notably, the maximum use of space that is used in its construction has given this 16th century religious complex recognition. Aside from the delicate Iranian architecture and patterns, the complex holds inside it the soldiers’ graveyards of Chaldiran Battle.
- Old Bazaar of Ardabil is one of the unique examples of Islamic and traditional Bazaars. The Bazaar is located in the heart of Ardabil. This complex used to an important center of commerce during the Safavid Dynasty (14th and 15th century). Different sections of the Old Bazaar of Ardabil depict a special historic setting.
- Ardabil Anthropology Museum which actually used to be a Bath House before the reign of Safavid Dynasty. This museum exhibits the local costumes, artworks, and historic manuscripts.
Other Attractions in Ardabil
- Mausoleum of Sheikh Jebrail
- Mirza Ali Akbar mosque and school
- Ardabil bridges
- Imamzadeh Saleh mausoleum
- Saint Mary church
Local Food & Signature Dishes of Ardabil
From breakfast to every other meal in the day, Ardabil Dishes are of one of the most exciting ones. For breakfast you can try the Sarshir and Asal (Top Milk Cream with Honey) on a piece of a special kind of bread named Fatir. Other signature dishes of Ardabil consist of special stews called Dizi and BozBash which are cooked with some of the best quality meat.
Since Ardabil is one of the coldest cities in Iran, a range of pottages can be find here. Ash-e Dogh is one of the most famous pottages in this area. The most famous dish of Ardabil is Kase Kababi (Bowl of Kabab) which is a kind of Kabab served with special butter coating in a bowl with bread. You can try these signature dishes and local food in most of the restaurants located in Ardabil. Here is a list of hand-picked Restaurants and Cafes in Ardabil. As souvenirs, you can find many sweets such as Ardabil Baklava, Top Milk Cream, Sabalan Honey, and different types of bread while exploring Ardabil.
Handicraft & Souvenirs
Ardabil gains most of its fame from Ardabili Ghali (Ardabil rugs and carpets). A pair of Ardabili Rugs are on the list of top 50 masterpieces in the World. Today, these rugs are kept in Victoria and Albert Museum in London and Los Angeles County Museum of Art. Other significant handicraft of Ardabil are mentioned below.
- Kilim which is a special rug made from silk, wool and goat hair that are woven in cheerful colors and patterns
- Jajim of Khalkhal which is another handwoven traditional handicraft of Ardabil that comes in special patterns
- Varni Bafi of Ardabil which is a popular weave in Azerbaijan
- Plus weaving which is the weaving of woof or wool rugs that are waterproof and used by nomads
- Saddle weaving that aremade of colored wool, cotton yarn, and goat’s hair
- Glass Cutting is done by special machinery for engraving patterns on the glass which is one of the most beautiful crafts of Ardabil
The list of Ardabil’s handicrafts goes on as the handicrafts and the way they are patterned and weaved differs in villages around Ardabil. You can purchase these handicrafts as souvenirs while exploring Ardabil and its adjoining villages.